Praia Dos Estudantes is an beautiful beach in the Algarve, walking distance from Lagos old town. This nice little beach, presenting awesome photo opportunities and is located next to Praia da Batata. It is a cozy sandy beach, surrounded by overhanging cliffs and is known for its Roman style bridge right on the beach and the tunnel connecting different parts of Praia dos Estudantes. A very popular spot to take those perfect Algarve shots for Instagram, a nice beach for swimming, sunbathing and walking exploring several attached beaches.
Praia Dos Estudantes translates into Student Beach from Portuguese, the crowed on this beach is however varied with old and young, families and off course some students.
Praia Dos Estudantes All About the Beach
Praia Dos Estudantes a is a small beach on the Ponta Piedade headland comprising two beaches connected by a tunnel. Walking through these natural tunnels connecting the beaches is one of the best things to do in Lagos. The beaches are fairly small with both section being around 60 metres long. Estudantes Beach is located between the well known Praia da Batata and Praia do Pinhão. The first section of the beach coming from Praia de Batata (northern section) has finer sand than the southern part at the bridge with more shells.
The two parts of this beautiful beach are located in typical Algarve coves between the town of Lagos and the famous Ponta da Piedade. The location on the eastern side of Ponta da Piedade, results in Estudantes Beach being sheltered from the wind but it does get a lot of sun. Shadow stretches over the beach in the afternoon from about 17:00, this is very nice in summer when temperatures climb over 30C.
Ponta da Piedade protects Praia Dos Estudantes from waves from the southwest and the sea here is very calm on most days.
Lagos Roman Bridge
This awesome arch bridge joining eroded cliffs in the middle of the beach is the highlight of Praia dos Estudantes. The bridge was part of Pinhão Fortress that was destroyed during an earthquake in the 1700’s.
Praia dos Estudantes Facilities
Facilities are rather limited at Estudantes beach, with no shade or beach chairs available, bring your own umbrella and beach mat. The beach has no lifeguards on duty. Mar Restaurant is located at the top of the stairs leading to the beach and has toilet facilities.
- Toilets – At Mar Restaurant
- Parking – yes paid public parking at Mar restaurant (Google Maps Pin Mar Restaurant) or a free parking about 10 minutes walk away
Things to do at Praia dos Estudantes
Estudantes beach is a good option to spend a couple of hours on the beach. It is located close to the Lagos Old Town (10 minutes walk) less than a kilometer. Located further from the city center than Praia da Batata with less facilities it is usually less crowded. Take your own umbrella and beach mat.
The beach is fairly protected and calm conditions make for nice swimming. The water at Praia Dos Etudantes is clear and calm on most days. The Atlantic ocean is quite chilly most of the year with water temperatures between 15 and 20C, nicer for a dip on hot days than long swims.
Swimming at Estudantes Beach is better at high tide when the swimming beach is a nice sandy beach, there are big rocks that are exposed at low tide making swimming difficult.
Since Praia de Estudantes is connected to Praia da Batata and Praia do Pinhão it is possible to do a real nice beach walk all the way from Praia da Batata over Praia Estudantes to Praia do Pinhão all the way on the beach. The first two tunnels, first coming from Praia da Batata followed by the tunnel between the two parts of Estudantes beach can be accessed anytime. To keep on walking through the tunnel from Estudantes to Pinhão, the tunnel located right next to the roman style bridge is only accessible at low tide.
Getting to Praia do Estudantes
Being located only about 700 meters from the old town and 1 km from Lagos Marina. The Estudantes Beach can easily be reached on foot, it is around a 10 minute walk. Walk along the main road coming from the Marina. There are several nice spots to stop for photo opportunities, including the marina, the old town and the harbor. Walk past the harbor (Avenida dos Descobrimentos). Access Praia do Estudantes by walking over the beach from Praia da Batata or keep on walking up the hill passing the harbor and walk down to Praia do Estudantes at the stairs from Mar restaurant.
There is a small parking close to the stairs leading down to Praia do Estudantes, just click on Mar Restaurant in you GPS/phone. Lagos has plenty of Ubers, since Lagos is a small town this is a quick, cheap and easy way to get to the beach.
Top Activities in Lagos
- Explore the sea caves and beaches of Ponta da Piedade on a kayak trip from Lagos.
- Ponta Piedade Boat Trip – On a boat trip from Lagos you can see Ponte Piadade, Dona Ana Beach and Camilo Beach.
- Benagil Caves .Trip– A fantastic trip to explore these fantastic sea caves from Lagos. See how to visit the caves by kayak or SUP.
- Dolphin watching tour – see dolphins on this boat trip guided by a marine biologist, a 1.5 hour trip from Lagos.
- All about Surfing in Lagos.
More Amazing Beaches in Lagos
- Praia da Dona Ana, Praia do Camilo and Praia do Pinhão are nice sandy beaches, surrounded by spectacular overhanging cliffs, world renowned for crystal clear water, unique rock formations and surrounding red and yellow sandstone cliffs. These beaches all have calm ocean conditions being protected by Ponta da Piedade.
- Meia Praia is the longest beach in Lagos a fantastic 4.5 km stretch of sand, great for walk, runs, surfing and swimming.
- Praia Porto de Mos a nice beach for surf beach in Lagos with good facilities and a nice beach for long walks and playing in the waves.
Accommodation around Estudantes Beach